September 21, 2011

the break-up

A few weeks ago, my 11-year-old son and I were getting ourselves ready to leave our house and begin our Sunday ritual.  From the time he was a toddler, every Sunday he and I would hang out at our neighborhood Starbucks – set up camp for a few hours – to read, talk, and laugh, while I drank grande after grande of their Pike’s Place coffee.  Chalk it up to Mother’s intuition or his facial expressions, but this Sunday didn’t feel like the other Sundays. While tying my sneaker, he sits down next to me and says, “hey mom, can we skip today? My friends are outside and I wanna hang with them.” 

Skip today? What the hell was this kid talking about – skip today?

I really tried not to look disappointed but my scrunched-up face and opened mouth gave me away because he says, “Mom, I promise, next week it’ll just be me and you. But if you had a boyfriend…” And with that my son and his big curly afro were out the door.  Since I had been pretty much left immobile by his words, I started thinking about what he just said.  It’s true - he is getting older and as each year passes, he needing me less and less.  He has his friends and it’s time I find…a boyfriend? A boyfriend? Talk about scary.

In the past 11-years, I’ve only had two boyfriends. Both were very good men but my son was my focal point.  Okay, okay, okay – really I have been using my kid as an excuse so I wouldn’t become too invested in a relationship and get hurt, because I always get hurt. Now it seems “my excuse” is kicking me out of the nest - oh the irony.

Life has thrown (and landed) a lot of punches, I’ve taken every blow and I keep getting back in the ring – but this? Where do I start? What do I say?

I am a 39-year-old curvaceous single parent ISO a serious relationship? Well played life, well played, indeed.

Now, I’m off to create a profile on singleparentmeet.com – wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment